Singer Died From Excessive Alcohol Consumption
6:00AM ET October 27th, 2011
Contributor : Martin James
A Rocky Williform Company
Late soul singer Amy Winehouse died from fatal levels of alcohol in her system, according to Coroner Suzanne Greenaway. Greenaway decreed that Winehouse died from 'death by misadventure' attributed to accidental alcohol poisoning.
"The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels (of alcohol) was her sudden and unexpected death," Greenaway said.
Winehouse's physician, Dr. Christina Romete, said she warned the Grammy winner the day before she died about her excessive drinking. Winehouse's family issued a statement following the coroner's revelation.
"It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy," the family shared. "We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build-up of alcohol in her system over a number of days. The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time."
"She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence," the family's statement says. "It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name. It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world. We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the Foundation."